Sunday 5 February 2017

Minimalism


I've been listening to The Minimalists podcast (which I discovered though the amazing Tracy from Shutterbean, a blog I can warmly recommend if you don't follow it already!). I love the idea of cutting down on the clutter in our lives - that we have been brain washed to think that success and happiness is defined by owning more things when instead we can be much happier when we let go (I'm excluding the craft stash from this line of thought). But to be completely serious, I think there is a point in being mindful about what we own and evaluating whether the things we surround us with add value to our lives. And I have to admit I have a lot of crafty stash which I don't use. I just feel like I can't get rid of it because I paid a lot of money for it. I have some stuff I love and use, and I see no point in getting rid of those. But the other stuff - the stamps I haven't touched for years (or maybe not even used once)? Maybe I could try to sell them on eBay or even donate them to somewhere where they would add value to someone else's life? Does anyone know of any good places that would accept unloved crafty stash? Anyhow, I warmly recommend the podcast and also the Minimalism documentary on Netflix. It certainly gave me lots to think about. Maybe I could finally get rid of all my DVDs (I haven't watched a single one of them during the four years we have lived in this house, still I have loads and loads). I'm also really keen on doing a capsule warderobe type of thing. To be fair, I kind of already do that as I only use a small subset of all the clothes I own, so why do I hang on to clothes I never wear "just because"? I would love to hear your thoughts! One side note about the documentary - seems like a lot of minimalists are extremely good looking men. Just saying...

Talking about minimalism, today's crafty project turned out to be rather minimalist also. I was inspired by the current Tag You're It challenge and the colour challenge over at Color Throwdown. I think this tag would be perfect with a Starbucks or Costa gift card as a thank you for something or other. I just adore the cute little Lawn Fawn mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows (again, going off on a tangent, I bought some raspberry white hot chocolate last weekend, and it's soooo good!). And that adorable little cupcake. Who could resist. Now I'm actually craving hot chocolate and cupcakes. Dang.




Card: 250 gsm white card
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Love You a Latte, Baked With Love and matching dies
Ink and colouring: Stampin' Up Early Espresso, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics
Other: Lawn Fawn Tag You're It dies, Let's Polka in the Dark patterned paper, ribbon and twine from my stash

No comments: