Wednesday 22 October 2014

Galaxy technique


I'm a bit early with tomorrow's blog post. So if you read this on Wednesday, close the browser and come back tomorrow as this is meant to be Thursday's post. Just kidding, just kidding, read on. The reason I have to publish this post a bit early is that I just received some paint, just a few hours before the end of a challenge deadline that I really wanted to create a card for. The story goes as follows.

When I saw the galaxy technique challenge on The Friday Mashup last Friday, I immediately watched the linked technique videos as I just loved the look of the DT inspiration cards. This is the great video I used to help me get to grips with the technique. And then I immediately headed up to my craft room to play with my Distress paints. Only to discover that I actually don't have black paint. Ever so often I do this, I see a product used so much in blogs and videos that somehow my brain has convinced me that I have that in my stash. Very disappointed, I had to wait for several long days until my paints finally arrived today, only a few hours before the challenge deadline. So off I went into the craft room like greased lightning, and after a bit of playing around with the paints I managed to put together this card. 

For the layout I was inspired by this week's Freshly Made Sketch, and for the colours I used the amazing palette over at Colour Me...! I'm also entering the card over at Simon Says Monday Challenge where Anything goes.

I created the galaxy according to the instructions in the video using the Distress paints. I stamped the stars in Versamark and heat embossed using white powder. I stamped the sentiment using Versamark and heat embossed using white powder. I then coloured the white embossed parts using a Copic marker to match the colours in the galaxy.


Card: Daler & Rowney 300 gsm Aquafine watercolour paper, coloured 240 gsm kraft card in black and purple
Paints: Tim Holtz Distress Paints Black Soot, Dusty Concord, Picket Fence, Spiced Marmelade and Seedless Preserves
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters Ever after, Stampin' Up Just Sayin'
Ink: Tsukineko Versamark, Copic YR04
Other: Papermania Seafoam White embossing powder 

6 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

I am loving these galaxy cards! Beautiful technique......beautiful result! Thanks for joining us at FMS!

Cindy Brumbaugh said...

Great take on a triple challenge! This is super fabulous. The orange just pops so brightly! TFS at the Friday mashup this week!

Simply Sara Stampin' said...

Great job on all the challenges you entered your card in. I love the colors you used too! Purples and black look so good together! This technique has been so fun and I've enjoyed looking at each card that have been created! Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup this week.
Sara
Sara

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow! What a cool background! Out of this world! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Sherrie M. said...

Very cool background!! The Colour Me....! colors look amazing in your background. Thanks for joining us at Colour Me....! this week and hope to see you in the gallery again soon!

Claire Broadwater said...

This technique is so amazing! Your background looks fabulous! Such a great way to use all the colors! Thank you so much for joining us at Colour Me...! this week! XX